– Spirit Rock Meditation Center for meditation retreats in Northern California.
– Insight Meditation Society for a wide range of sites and links regarding mindfulness meditation. IMS is a Buddhist meditation center founded in 1975 that teaches Vipassana meditation. It is located in Barre, Massachusetts.
– Vallecitos Mountain Refuge – a wilderness learning and retreat center in New Mexico
– Mount Madonna Institute in Watsonville, CA
– Shambhala Mountain Center in Red Feather Lakes, CO
– Upaya Institute and Zen Center in Santa Fe, NM
– Worldwide Insight is a Dharma practice group that you can join from anywhere in the world. Each Sunday, renowned Insight Meditation teachers offer meditation instruction, teachings, and live Q & A
http://awakeningbell.org – bells to ring on computer or phone as you schedule the bells to cue you to stop and breathe.
Local and Regional Practice Opportunities
– The Midwest Alliance for Mindfulness (MAM)
MAM offers connection and support to Midwestern mindfulness practitioners, helps us stay consistent in our practice, and provides a place to get questions answered. Twice weekly at
Seeking Solace Yoga – 9200 Glenwood, Ste. 100 in OP onThursdays from 7-8pm and at Cornerstones of Care – Spofford campus in KCMO on Tuesday evenings (family friendly) a trained mindfulness informed professional from the area leads a no fee / donation based session of practice. . Details can be found on http://www.Meetup.com
– Inner Peace Buddhist Center – Contemporary Buddhism, meets Wednesdays from 7-8pm at Heart of the Dove at 43 rd and Troost. I’ll go with you!
– Unity Temple on the Plaza – Serenity Pause offers secularized meditation sessions daily at scheduled times throughout the week. No previous meditation experience is necessary. Each meditation time includes meditation instruction, time to sit, and time to discuss. Both chairs and mat/cushions are provided. All sessions are offered on a love offering donation basis. Space is available for individual meditation Monday – Saturday, 10am -9pm
– Mid-America Dharma – offering Insight Meditation to the Heartland
– Show-Me Dharma – dedicated to making the study and practice of Insight Meditation available to Mid-Missouri
QiGong and TaiChi
Organizations of Interest
– Center for Mindfulness at UMass Medical School – Dedicated to supporting mindfulness practitioners, teachers, and researchers around the globe
–Garrison Institute explores the intersection of contemplation and engaged action in the world.
– Mind and Life Institute – a non-profit organization committed to building a scientific understanding of the mind as away to help reduce suffering and promote human flourishing.
– Omega Institute – visitor center in Rhinebeck, NY with programs in many locations
Lion’s Roar – Lion’s Roar Foundation offers timeless Buddhist teachings, up-to- the-moment news, advice, commentary, and more. Content is delivered through print and digital editions.
– Mindful – Mindful.org is a mission-driven non-profit online and print magazine. It is dedicated to inspiring, guiding, and connecting anyone who wants to explore mindfulness—to enjoy better health, more caring relationships, and a compassionate society.
Recommended Books on Mindfulness
|Full Catastrophe Living||Jon Kabat-Zinn|
|Wherever You Go, There You Are||Jon Kabat-Zinn|
|The Mindful Way Through Depression||J. Mark|
|It’s Easier Than You Think||Sylvia Boorstein|
|The Kindness Handbook||Sharon Salzberg|
|Loving-Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness||Sharon Salzberg|
|Meditation for Beginners||Jack Kornfield|
|The Mind and the Way||Ajahn Sumedho|
|Mindfulness in Plain English||Jenepola Gunarantana|
|The Miracle of Mindfulness||Thich Nhat Hanh|
|A Path With Heart||Jack Kornfield|
|After the Ecstasy, The Laundry||Jack Kornfield|
|Radical Acceptance||Tara Brach|
|Seeking the Heart of Wisdom||Joseph Goldstein|
|The Mindful Brain||Daniel Siegel, MD|
|The Sacred Path of the Warrior||Chogyam Trungpa|
|When Things Fall Apart||Pema Chodron|
|The Wisdom of No Escape||Pema Chodron|
|Buddha’s Brain||Rick Hanson, PhD|